Thursday 8 April 2010

'Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it.'

Today I went to see 'Remember Me' with my best friends. I've been looking forward to seeing it for a while, because the trailers looked really good and because I will openly admit that I'm a little bit too in love with Robert Pattinson. Not just because he's Edward Cullen (yes, I'm a Twilight nerd and PROUD) but because I think he's talented. And him being very beautiful doesn't hurt either. So, I woke up this morning and the sun was blaring through my windows, putting me in a glorious mood even before I had chance to think about the events of the day ahead. The next part of this blog will involve some major spoilers, so if you haven't seen the film and want to then you should probably stop reading here. But feel free to come back once you have seen the film. And you may take this opportunity to go and read my other blogs, if you already haven't. Y'know, if you fancy it that is. Sorry, I'm digressing again.

What a film! I thought at first it might just be a run of the mill rom-com, but it was more than that. Although it was pretty funny in some parts and the relationships explored were very sweet. But like I say, there was much more to it, including a real shocker of an ending! Tyler is the protagonist and is played by the lovely Rob. Yes, we're on shortened first name terms ... it's okay to be jealous. Anyway, Tyler gets himself arrested at the start of the film and then gets involved with the police officer's daughter Ally, with the intent of using her to get revenge against her father. But they fall in love and after a turbulent time for both of them (as they both have pretty big family problems that are addressed both sensitively and realistically) they live happily ever after. The ending scenes show how all of the characters' stories have been wrapped up nicely and I was preparing to leave the cinema with a warm glow. Or so I thought. Cut to Tyler's little sister being at school and the teacher writing the date on the chalkboard. September 11th 2001. Cut then to Tyler looking out of the window of his Dad's office, waiting for him to arrive. The camera pans out, slowly revealing the location of the office. One of the highest floors of the one of the Twin Towers in New York.

My little heart sank. I knew what was coming then, but I was no less sad when it did. The film skipped to the aftermath of the 9/11 bombings without presenting the actual event - which was a good move in my opinion as it prevented it from becoming simply another disaster movie - and just showed the devastation of all the characters when they realised what had happened and that Tyler was gone. The final scene showed Ally on a train with a slight smile on her face and I got the feeling that we were being shown that there was hope for her still. That even after all of the shit she'd encountered in her life, and after losing Tyler, she still had a future and a life to live. So even though the film had a shockingly sad twist, the ending gave the audience a positive message to take away. One of the quotes also left quite the imprint on my friends and myself; "Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch" ... Food for thought there, kids.

If you chose to read this having not watched the film and are thinking that the story doesn't seem for you, fair enough. But I will make the point that even if you don't like the plot, it was such a well done film. The twist literally came from nowhere and I can't stress that enough. So because of that, it made so much more of an impact. Even in the cinema I heard gasps and the heartbroken sniffles of teary-eyed teenage girls (although I will add that I was not one of these girls. I don't cry y'see. Like ever. But this is another issue for another blog). Anyway, it was a genuinely good watch and really got my friends and I talking afterwards about the much bigger issues at hand. Chloe, one of the previously mentioned best friends, made a heartbreaking point from the film. She said that that must have been exactly how it was for the real victims of the 9/11 bombings; it was an incomprehensible shock and created such devastation for so many people. And, of course, she's right. I remember exactly where I was when I heard about 9/11. I was in my first year of secondary school, chilling with friends in our lunch hour. It meant nothing to us really, as kids from across the world. We didn't understand the full extent of the situation. Although I do recall rushing home that night to phone my now-estranged Dad, who lives in America, to check that he was okay. My 11 year old mind couldn't distinguish that Ohio, where he lives, is actually about 500 miles away from New York - but I felt better for it anyway. As I've grown up though, I've realised the devastation it caused and I don't think I can really put into words how it makes me feel. Terrorism is one of the lowest acts of the human race and anyone capable of even considering it doesn't deserve a life. I know that sounds harsh, but if someone is prepared to take the lives of thousands of good, innocent people and ruin even more lives because of these losses then why do they deserve to have the thing they have denied of these people? They don't, in my opinion. Even now it all makes me so angry. Too angry. Angry enough that I can't actually write much more about it here, at the moment. Maybe I'll come back to it in another blog.

Anyway, I am off my soap box and ready to wrap things up for now. I fully urge anyone to go and see 'Remember Me'. For a good laugh, for a good cry or even for a good Rob-fest. After you've watched it, spare a thought or two for all the people who's lives were altered by the events of 9/11 ... or any other global disaster for that matter. It'll make you appreciate life, if only for the length of time you spare those thoughts. And even for that short amount of time, it's worth it.

Have a good one kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment